Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Gazpacho!!!

My favorite summertime meal is a cool bowl of gazpacho soup.

Gazpacho is a tomato-based vegetable soup that is served cold. It can be a very time-consuming and labor-intensive meal to make. Yet, I have come up with an easy non-V8 based way to go about it. While I am not knocking the V8 versions, they are incredibly high in sodium and have an aftertaste that I just do not like.

So here is my version (which relies on having a Raley's grocery store nearby):
--24 oz NOB HILL brand FARMERS MARKET Vegetable Soup (in the fresh deli section)
--1 lb (16 oz) RALEY'S Pico de Gallo (a mixture of tomato, yellow onion, jalapeno, & cilantro) (found in the produce section)
--1 lb "Shrimp Meat Cooked Salad Size - previously frozen" (usually about $6.99/lb) -> the small little guys (in the fresh fish counter)
--Avocado to garnish (I use about 1/3 per serving)

Mix it all (well, not the avocado) and serve with the avocado on top. It makes about 4 good sized portions, maybe 6 to 8 skimpy ones :)

The shrimp makes it -- usually gazpacho does not have shrimp. Of course, the shrimp also makes a vegetarian, even vegan dish, a meat-eater dish. But, oh well, I like my shrimp!

ENJOY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment